Kevin a winning tutor

6 Oct 2015

The winner of the inaugural London BEL Alumni Ambassador Council Tutor Award, final year Bachelor of Commerce (Hons) student Huu Phat (Kevin) Thai, plans to pursue an academic career and said the award was a wonderful boost.

“Tutoring has long been a goal in my life and it’s an honour to receive this award,” he said.

“I’d like to express my gratitude to the London BEL Alumni Ambassador Council for this meaningful support.”

Kevin, an international student from Vietnam, said he had already shouted his honours fellows to dinner to celebrate their achievements and planned to use the remainder of his prize to help support his planned PhD next year.

The London BEL Alumni Ambassador Council introduced the award this year to recognise Honours students and increase awareness of the importance of staying connected after graduation.

The award was conceived and funded by the members of the London BEL Alumni Ambassador Council and is the first of its kind.

Course Coordinator Dr Mark Russell said Kevin distinguished himself with excellent communications skills and meticulous tutorial preparation.

“Kevin enthusiastically volunteers for additional teaching duties in response to student demands for consultant and exam feedback,” he said.

Student feedback supported this with Kevin receiving a rating of “outstanding’ in all eight criteria.

One student wrote: “I was astounded when he told me it was his first semester as a tutor… Kevin’s tutorial has made this subject enjoyable for me.”

Kevin said it was important to be passionate about both teaching and the course material.

“I try to be flexible with my teaching style and relate the material to practical examples to show the applicability and reinforce understanding,” he said.

For further information: Jason Ketter: j.ketter@uq.edu.au

Kevin Thai: Thank You to the London Ambassadors Council from UQ BEL Faculty on Vimeo.