Giving a voice to the voiceless

19 November 2018

Susan ReillySusan Reilly has had her share of ups and downs in life but she counts her blessings every day and does her best to help make the world a better place for everyone - people and animals. 

For many years, the Business Economics and Law Faculty Governance Coordinator has successfully juggled her career at UQ with taking care of a family of five, fostering dogs and cats, and volunteering. However, Susan believes we still have a long way to go to achieve gender equality.  

Bridging the gender gap

Having worked at UQ for 17 years, one of the many things I like about it is the flexibility. I feel very fortunate that I can work in a job that I enjoy during the day, collect my children from school three days a week and take them to their after-school activities, and continue to volunteer outside office hours.

I have the best of both worlds, and I understand how incredibly lucky I am. Unfortunately, many women in Australia are not so lucky. There is so much pressure on women to fulfil the primary carer role at home and return to work in a full-time capacity. I would like to see more opportunities for job sharing so that parents have the option to return to work part-time if they choose.