More than 1700 students graduated from UQ’s Faculty of Business, Economics and Law last week, bringing the total undergraduate and postgraduates for 2015 to 3192.
This semester’s BEL valedictorians were:
- Lizi Chen, graduating with a Bachelor of International Hotel and Tourism Management and a Bachelor of Management with a major in Event Management from Sun Yat-sen University in China. She was also a visiting scholar at the London School of Economics.
- Daniel Mouat, graduating with a Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Economics. Daniel was in a team of four students who won the 2014 KPMG International Case Competition. More information
- Fulya Calik Toker, graduating with a Master of Business (Advanced) Marketing. More information
- Lachlan Campbell, graduating with a Bachelor of Economics/Bachelor of Laws (Hons), was a peer tutor and a first and second year law student mentor, Vice President of the UQ Law Society and Chair of the society’s Education Board. He also represented Australia at the G20 Youth Summit in Istanbul, Turkey. More information
- Sabrina Wong, graduating with a Bachelor Business Management (Hons). Part of her thesis was accepted as a competitive paper in the Australia New Zealand Academy of Marketing Conference (ANZMAC) held in Sydney this month.
Other graduates include:
- Marikki Watego, graduating with a Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Business Management, is an Australian rep touch footballer. More information
- Luke McKenzie, Archibald Scholarship winner, graduating with a Bachelor of Economics with first class Honours. More information
- Nkosana Mafico, graduating with a Bachelor of Business Management, co-founder of Funetics and Australian National Champion at the Global Student Entrepreneur Awards. More information
UQ Advantage Award
Seven BEL students graduated with the UQ Advantage Award which acknowledges additional co-curricular programs and experiences that develop and broaden their skills and employability:
- Tara Cauwel, Bachelor of Business Management, participated in the Community Engagement Program, completed an internship with HR Partners and volunteered with Childhood Cancer Centre
Ryan Clements, Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws, participated in the Law Mooting Program, studied Abroad in Amsterdam and studied German through the Institute of Modern Languages
- Talisia Conway, Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Economics, participated in the UQ Student Leader Program, completed an internship with Bentleys Chartered Accountants and was an executive member of the UQ Big Band Society
- Laura McKennariey, Bachelor of Business Management/Bachelor of Commerce, participated in the Community Engagement Program, studied Abroad at University College Dublin and completed an internship at the Bank of Queensland
- Vernon Ting, Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws, studied Abroad at University of Birmingham, volunteered at The Australian Red Cross, and was an executive member of the Borneo Student Association
- Shannan Webb, Bachelor of Business Management/Bachelor of Commerce, studied Abroad at Rutgers University, studied at Harvard University Summer School and completed an internship in the UQ North America Office
- Qian Wei, Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Economics, studied French through the Institute of Modern Languages, was a UQ Mentor, volunteered with International Geological Congress and was a UQ Advantage Ambassador
These students received an official statement of attainment upon graduation.
New programs in 2016
From 2016, BEL will introduce the following new programs:
- Bachelor of Advanced Finance & Economics (Honours)
- Bachelor of Business Management/Bachelor of Communication
- Bachelor of Mathematics /Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Mathematics/Bachelor of Economics
- Master of Applied Econometrics (#32)
In 2016, four new fields have been introduced to the Master of Business: Advertising, Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Leadership, and Social Impact & Sustainability.