UQ students make amazing multicultural ambassadors for Brisbane

12 May 2017

They hail from vastly different international locations but six students from The University of Queensland are now eternally united through study and a shared love of their adopted homeland.

The students, who are all studying programs at the UQ Business, Economics and Law Faculty, have been officially appointed as 2017 Brisbane International Student Ambassadors by Brisbane Lord Mayor Graham Quirk.

With a diverse range of backgrounds and representing studies across a number of programs, the students will use their own social media channels to spread the word about their adopted home and tell the world why Brisbane’s burgeoning reputation as a destination of choice for international students continues to blossom.

The UQ contingent included Sophie Rougeron from France, Seung-Tak Baek from South Korea, Ching Chong from Malaysia, Alessia Lanzo from Italy, Khanh Le from Vietnam and Ho Yeung Cheung from Hong Kong.

Ho Yeung Cheung was recently named a Brisbane International Student Ambassador
Bachelor of Business Management student Ho Yeung Cheung was recently named a Brisbane International Student Ambassador

Cheung said his decision to choose UQ as his study destination of choice was sealed with a simple Google search.

“One day, I searched “the most beautiful campus in the world” on Google, and I found a picture of blossomed Jacarandas at UQ, that was the first impression of UQ in my mind,” he said.

“After that, I did a lot of research about the study environment as well as internship opportunities of UQ, and then I decided to study here. 

He said UQ’s idyllic location and world class facilities made his student experience unforgettable.

“I enjoy doing my assignments under a tree at the Great Court.

“The WIFI reception is good and sometimes I just sit there and look at people playing Frisbee, ibis birds searching for their lunch and the clouds floating in the sky.”

Cheung said he would have no hesitation in recommending UQ to his friends and family in Hong Kong.

“The assistances for international students are very comprehensive at UQ,” he said.

“In most cases, English is not the first language for many international students. Thus, UQ provides English course at ICTE and foundation course at IES.

“I studied at IES last year, and that really helped me adapt to English and the Australian lifestyle. UQ also provides a lot of academic advice, employment and internship tips for us.”

An initiative of Brisbane City Council and Brisbane Marketing, the student ambassador program adopts students from all over the world to tell their real-life Brisbane stories to their home country networks via social media.

Now in its eighth year, the UQ students were part of 40 students from around the world who have been formally appointed as Brisbane Student Ambassadors.

Find out more about our Brisbane Student Ambassadors by clicking on their profiles below.

Sophie Rougeron, Master of International Commercial Law (France)

Seung-Tak Baek, Bachelor of Economics (Korea)

Ching Chong, Bachelor of Economics (Malaysia)  

Alessia Lanzo, Master of International Economics and Finance (Italy)

Khanh Le, Master of Commerce (Vietnam)

Ho Yeung Cheung, Bachelor of Business Management (Hong Kong)