While a large number of partner universities teach in English, or offer courses taught in English, some universities in Latin America, Europe and Asia teach predominatly in the local language.

If you would like to study at a university which does not teach in English, you will need to demonstrate that you are proficient in the language of instruction before your application can be approved.

If you plan to study in a foreign language on exchange, complete an Assessment of Language Proficiency form and submit it with your application.

In order to have sufficient language skills to study in a foreign language, you need to have achieved a minimum level of B2 on this chart. Even with the level of B2 you are strongly recommended to take an intensive language course for 2-4 weeks before beginning your studies in a foreign language.  You can see an explanation of the levels here.

To complete the Assessment of Language Proficiency form:

  • If you are currently studying the foreign language at UQ, take the form to your lecturer to complete.
  • If you are not studying the foreign language at UQ, you may be required to take a standardised test in the foreign language to determine your level of proficiency. The Institute of Modern Languages (IML) at UQ may be able to provide information on standardised tests in some foreign languages.